With Fall in full swing, I can not be stopped when it comes to baking all of the Fall inspired recipes, and these cookies are no exception. Having just recently moved back to my hometown of Ft. Lauderale, I have been given the great pleasure of being able to shop at the infamous Trader Joes. Now, I get to see firsthand what all of the hype is about and I also get to try out all of the Fall goodies that everyone has been raving about as well! One of their seasonal products that I have been really enjoying is their Pumpkin Butter. Holy moly that stuff is good and since thumbprint cookies are one of my faves, that became the inspiration behind how my Gluten Free Thumbprint Pumpkin Butter Cookies came to life.
There are a few reasons I love these cookies:
- Is just how simple they are to make
- They only require 7 ingredients.
- Oh and they taste so dang good!!!!
*The only time consuming part is that the dough needs about at least an hour in the fridge to chill, but other than that, they take about 8-10 minutes to bake. That is it!
These cookies are a real treat because not only are they super tasty but they are also gluten free and dairy free.
For the flour, I went with almond flour instead of white or wheat flour. Unflavored Coconut Oil was used in place of butter, but you could certainly swap 1:1 for grass-fed butter or ghee if not dairy free. For sweetener, I used pure organic maple syrup, but you could also sub for honey, if desired. Now, the dough itself does not have any refined sugar, however the pumpkin butter does, so technically they are not considered refined sugar free like most of my other recipes. Keep in mind, you can always swap out the pumpkin butter for your favorite jam! It is completely up to you!
I really hope you get the chance to make these super simple and super yummy cookies! They have been a hit so far with everyone who has tried them. Keep in mind, they don’t photograph that well, but I assure that has nothing to do with how they taste!
- 2 1/2 cups blanched almond flour (do not recommend almond meal)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- 1/3 c unflavored coconut oil, (optional, grass-fed butter or ghee)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 c pure organic maple syrup
- Trader Joe’s pumpkin butter (optional, jam of choice)
- In a small bowl, mix your dry ingredients together.
- In a medium bowl, mix together your wet ingredients. Make sure you have melted your coconut oil or butter first.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and until dough is well combined.
- Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Once the dough has chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Scoop out a tbsp portion and roll into balls using your hands. Place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Using your thumb, create a small well in the middle of your cookie and add a dollop of jam into the center of each cookie.
- Bake for 8-10 mins until the cookies have slightly browned along the edges.
- Allow cookies to cool on a baking sheet and if you have a wire baking rack, use that to finish cooling. You will want to wait until these cookies are completely cooled before eating, otherwise they may fall apart.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.