One thing about me is that I get such pleasure in finding new ways to incorporate or (sneak) veggies into our diets regularly and If I can add them into a dessert or muffin recipe, even better! And that is how these Berry Beet Mini Muffins with a Raspberry Drizzle came to life! I had a few beets left in the fridge that I needed to use, I though they would be perfect to hide in some muffins for the week. Even more fun, since Valentines Day is right around the corner, it only made perfect sense to make these muffins using beets, since they naturally have a vibrant bright red/pink color to them! Win Win!
In general, beets are well known for having a pretty earthy flavor to them, but I assure you that you cannot taste them one bit in these muffins. The flavors all blend really well together, in fact these turned out pretty stinking delicious! The kids went crazy over them and they had no idea I had a sneaky-hidden vegetable in there 🙂 Now I will say, depending on how fresh your beets are and whether or not you choose to use already steamed beets (which is what I used) or you steam your beets yourself, this will determine how vibrant your muffins color will be. My beets were a few days old already, and had already opened, so they didn’t have a strong red or pink color to them, but I am okay with that! The raspberry drizzle made it up for it in color!
These muffins are also free of Gluten, Dairy, Refined Sugar and can be made vegan, if desired.
The ingredients you will need to make this recipe are the following:
- organic gluten free oat flour
- baking soda
- aluminum-free baking powder
- sea salt
- vanilla extract
- pasture-raised eggs (or flax eggs if vegan)
- unsweetened organic apple sauce
- pre-steamed beets
- coconut oil, melted
- coconut sugar
- fresh or frozen organic blueberries
- maple syrup
- fresh raspberries
I really hope you get a chance to make this recipe. If you, be sure to share and tag me at #healthymommamanda or comment below!
- 1 1/2 c organic gluten free oat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 pasture-raised eggs
- 1/2 c unsweetened organic apple sauce
- 1/2 c pre-steamed beets
- 1/3 c coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 c coconut sugar
- 3/4 c fresh or frozen organic blueberries
Raspberry sauce: (optional)
1/2 c fresh or frozen organic raspberries
1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line or grease mini muffin tins.
- In lg bowl, combine your flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a food processor or high speed blender, combine eggs, apple sauce, beets, coconut oil, coconut sugar, vanilla extract and blend until smooth.
- Pour the wet mixtureinto dry mixture until well combined.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Scoop into lined muffin tins and bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Raspberry sauce: (optional)
1. In small saucepan, bring raspberries and maple syrup to low boil. Lower to a simmer for about 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Remove from heat, mash the raspberries until it’s well combined. Strain the goin a fine sieve, using a small bowl to catch the liquid.
3. Let cool.
4. Drizzle along top your muffins .