Banana bread is pretty much a staple in our home, since there is almost always a few ripe bananas laying around, and also because it is just so dang delicious!
One of my favorite banana bread recipes has to be this Banana Oat Bread because it is not only super tasty but it’s also gluten-free and refined-sugar- free. Go ahead and toss any guilt out the window right now because not only is it free of inflammatory ingredients, but you would NEVER even know!
This recipe swaps out a few ingredients for some healthier alternatives. Some of those swaps are the following:
Coconut Sugar– Coconut sugar is one of my favorite granulated sugars and is a perfect alternative to white refined sugar. You can swap it at a 1:1 ratio.
Gluten Free Oat Flour-This is my go-to flour these days. It is more nutrient dense and is a great gluten-free alternative to traditional white flour. It is a little more dense than white flour but can still be swapped at a 1:1 ration.
Flax Eggs- While I haven’t tried this recipe using a flax egg, it can easily be swapped for pasture-raised eggs, if you are vegan or intolerant to eggs. To make flax eggs mix 1 tbsp ground flax with 2.5 tbsp water and let sit for 10 minutes until it thickens.
Coconut oil– You can easily swap coconut oil for grass-fed butter if you are dairy free. Coconut oil can be swapped 1:1 for butter in most baked goods. I prefer to use refined coconut oil as it has no coconut flavor.
The ingredients you will need to make this yummy bread are:
- very ripe bananas
- organic grass-fed butter *(can sub coconut oil if vegan or dairy free)
- coconut sugar
- pasture raised egg *(can sub flax egg)
- vanilla extract
- baking soda
- aluminum free baking powder
- Himalayan salt
- gluten free oat flour (blend rolled oats if you don’t have oat flour)
- *optional- chopped walnuts or chocolate chips
I can not wait for you to make this recipe. When you do, be sure to leave me a comment below or share and tag me on Instagram @healthymommamanda.
- 2-3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup organic butter, melted (can sub coconut oil)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 pasture raised egg, beaten (haven’t tried flax egg)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free oat flour (blend rolled oats in a high speed blender if you don’t have oat flour)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or chocolate chips, plus extra for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease your loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed bananas with the melted butter, then add the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Stir until fully combined.
Sprinkle the baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt over the banana mixture. Stir until well incorporated.
- Add flour and walnuts or chocolate chips (if desired), and stir just until fully blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then take out and place it on a wire rack and cool completely.